Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Knock Knocks

Let me first start out by saying.....what's up? I'm aware that it's been roughly a year since I wrote anything, going from civy to soldier sucks up a lot of time. Now I'm all settled in at my duty station I got a little more free time. Alright that's enough of that, let's get on with it....

Was it just me or was that the weirdest series any of you have ever seen? Unless I'm mistaken I think there was 56 goals scored in that series. 56 goals in 6 games is absolutely ridiculous. I admit I was happy when it was us scoring 8 goals in games 2 and 3 but still....that many goals in a playoff game is just insane. Goaltending was terrible for both teams this whole series, especially the first 3 games. I know we won 8-4 and 8-5 but if Fleury is on his game for 2 and 3 we probably don't win. You can't let in 5 goals in a playoff game and expect to win very often. All this season Bryz has been a point of concern for me. He is a good goalie, don't get me wrong; and I was certainly was not one of the ones bashing him in the middle of the season because he was in a slump. But this guy needs to get his rebounds under control, big time. This is the big show, playoff hockey is won in the corners and by the gritty guys right in front of the net that are gonna pound away until it goes it. If he can just keep those shots in his glove or angle his pads so the rebound goes into the corners he will be able to steal some for us. 

On to our rookies...

Coots totally made Malkin his bitch this series. When a 19 year old can make the league's top scoring forward in the regular series look like a non-issue that says something. He was passed up by a few teams cause he had mono, boy was that a mistake. This kid is gritty, smart, fast and can shoot the puck when he gets the chance. He's a perfect fit for this team and I personally love his attitude. Read has been a steady penalty killer and all around hard worker for us. He's faster than a gazelle on coke and he's got a good head on his shoulders, another good pick up by Homer. Schenn is probably my favorite rookie. He yapps at the opponent constantly, he digs in the corners, he can hit like a freight train and he works his ass off every shift. Not to mention he was the highest ranked Canadian Jr. last year before he was drafted. I love this kid, he's got talent and he's got the attitude that has been become associated with Flyer hockey.

How about the performance from our top line? Groo sets records for points in a series and in a single playoff game. Jags and Hartnell have also been dominant pretty much all season, when they were all healthy anyway. But Groo man...holy shit is this guy scary good or what? He's got amazing hockey sense, great vision, soft hands, a wicked shot (when he doesn't pass) and the best attitude you could have for a leader. He brings energy and confidence to the team. Idk about any of you but when I see him on the ice I almost expect him to make an amazing play, that's just in his character. 

Finally, to the flightless birds. This team showed it's true colors this series. Malkin, Neal, Cindy, Asham and Adams all showed that they are fine with playing filthy. There are even penguin fans that are disgraced to be associated with their own team, who woulda thought right? I definitely saw a switch of attitudes towards both teams. Before this series everyone was gargling the penguins nuts but after that disgraceful showing in game 3 everyone was calling them cheap, dirty, crybabies that whine and bitch like pregnant women. Never would I think I would see Milbury and Roenick publicly bash the whole organization but they did. They have a lot of soul searching to do in the offseason, which starts today : ) cya next year homos.

All in all I think that was an insane series. As long as our D and Bryz can keep it together, we have a legit chance at beating whatever teams are left after the first round. We have the talent and the heart to hoist up Lord Stanley in June, just have to keep our focus. Good hard fought series by both teams, best of luck to the pens players as they descend on the golf courses next week (snow storm heading into Shitsburgh today so no golf for a while). And for our boys, take a couple days to savor yet another victory in the Pennsylvania Civil War, but keep your focus and come out swinging against whoever we end up playing next series.

Good night and good hockey Flyers Phaithful

No comments:

Post a Comment